There has been a drastic increase in the number of suicides among students. In fact, according to a study, suicide is no.1 death causing factor amongst youth!
Numerous of students today are dealing with depression, anxiety, suicidal tendencies and related mental illness. All this has become a great cause of concern for parents, schools and the students as well.
So, if you are a student, a teacher or a parent, then it’s very important to know the causes behind the problem and the ways to tackle with it. Here are the main causes and some effective solutions that can improve mental health among students.
According to 2016 Lokniti-CSDS Youth Survey, every 4 out of 10 students have experienced bouts of depression in last couple of years.
With the advent of technological advancement, there has been a drastic change in the education system too. Students today are facing a lot of pressure and burden. To get successful, they need to do well not only in studies, but also in extracurricular activities. Those who are not able to handle such pressure, often become the victims of depression, suicide or mental illness.
Peer Pressure & Love
Today there is a lot of pressure from peers. What their peers wear, speak, do or how much they score, all this certainly increases pressure on the students, to do something better.
53% of students suffer from depression, says Asian Journal of Psychiatry.
With the trend of love relationship in small age, students are either not able to handle the relationship or get diverted from studies. Deviation from studies leads to poor marks and hence causing mental illness. On the other hand, immaturity leads to unsuccessful love relationship which causes depression and improper mental health.
Loneliness & Bullying
A study says that suicidal tendencies last for just few minutes, at that time. If the person is stopped for that period, he/she would not dare it again for a long time.
Students from different background face negligence from other students when they go for higher studies. They are often bullied or taunted on their language, region or behavior, which leads to suicidal attempts. They are not able to communicate their problems with teachers, friends or parents and hence handle a lot of pressure inside themselves.
With the increase in busy lifestyle, many students today do not get proper care and attention from their parents. They feel lonely and are not able to communicate any problem that occurs to them, with their parents. This is also a root cause behind the increasing mental problems among students.
Parents today try to force their decision on their children regarding their career. If the children are not comfortable with the choice of their career and accept it by pressure, then on getting failed in future, they attempt suicide.
A study has shown that sleep deprivation brought by excessive use of social media, video games and mobile phones is also a major cause of deteriorating mental conditions of students.
Tips to solve the problem
- If you are a student and you are facing mental problems or any other problems in life, be sure to communicate to your well wishers. Talking to someone reduces stress to a great extent.
- If you are a parent, then take out some time for your kids. Ask them what’s going on in their life. Bridge the communication gap between you and your children.
- Institutions and schools should hold workshops and counseling sessions for students on mental health problems.
- Students should avoid excessive use of mobile phones, social media and video games.
- Students should ensure a minimum sleep of 6-8 hours daily, to stay away from stress.
- Don’t panic on any problem. There is solution to everything. Problems and failures keep coming and life goes on. One should keep tackling the problems and live life happily.
These were the major causes of deteriorating mental conditions of students and the steps to reduce it.
Subscribe the blog for more such posts. If you have any other query, comment below.